J Bar J Youth Services promotes innovative options for at-risk youth and families toward self-sufficiency and personal responsibilities.
J Bar J Youth Services is a 501 © (3) non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and is currently the largest provider of services to youth and families in Central Oregon through five programs:
- The J Bar J Boys Ranch (est. 1968) is a 28 bed residential facility serving young offenders, ages 13-18, in need of court ordered rehabilitation services. The program uses accountability based cognitive restructuring, emphasizing individual accountability and personal growth. Average stay is 9 to 12 months.
- Cascade Youth and Family Center (est. 1989) focuses on safety, stability, and self-sufficiency for runaway, homeless, and unaccompanied youth, ages 16-20 in Deschutes County. Core programs are the Basic Center (est. 1992), providing emergency shelter and support; Transitional Living (est. 2003), with 12 beds for 6-18 months stay; and Street Outreach (est. 2002), targeting homeless youth ages 13-24.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Oregon (est. 1994) provides successful mentoring relationships for all children who need and want them in Crook, Deschutes, and Jefferson counties. Primary activities include identifying at-risk, often low-income children; identifying and screening adult candidates; and training volunteers. BBSCO serves approximately 300 youth between the ages of 6 and 15 years old annually.
- The Academy at Sisters (est.1994) is a therapeutic boarding school for at-risk young women ages 13-17 focusing on personal success and achievement. With 24 beds, the Academy embraces a program model founded in Action Based Cognitive Awareness (ABCA). ABCA allows students to integrate and elaborate on their knowledge of self, and increases the potential that youth will learn to transfer theoretical information into actual practice in real world situations. The Academy at Sisters employs a multi-dimensional approach to therapy with traditional and experiential modalities when working with youth & families. Average stay is 12-18 months.
- The Learning Center J Bar J Learning Center is an accredited school through the Northwest Accreditation Commission; registered as an alternative education program with the Oregon Department of Education; and a contracted alternative school with the Bend/La Pine School District. J Bar J Learning Center provides a standard-based, project oriented curriculum, Accelerated Math, career planning, authentic assessment, and an integrated curriculum fitting the unique needs of our students’ emotional intelligence. The school operates year-round for residents of the J Bar J Boys Ranch and the Academy at Sisters.