Position: Alternative Education Instructor
Department: J Bar J Learning Center – J Bar J, J5 Program
Reports to: Academic Coordinator
Under supervision of the Academic Coordinator, the Lead Teacher will serve as a primary instructor to the year-round education program. The classroom serves as a mechanism to prepare students academically and socially for success in their next school or work setting. This position is a full-time, variable, 40 hours per week position.
* Serve as a primary instructor in the classroom
* Assist Academic Coordinator and Lead Teacher in assuring that student education plans and records are properly maintained
* Assist Academic Coordinator and Lead Teacher in assuring that curriculum guides and lesson plans are maintained and aligned with state standards
* Support students in Credit Recovery online classes and GED Test preparation
* Utilize innovative materials and strategies in daily instructional milieu
* Maintain good communication with students and staff
* Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude and demeanor
* Serve as primary academic contact for treatment staff
* Serve as advisory teacher to students
* Assist in supervision of other staff and volunteers in the classroom
* Participate in hiring and evaluations of education staff as directed by Academic Coordinator
* Serve as liaison between education staff and treatment staff
* Assist Academic Coordinator in assuring compliance with school district contract, regional accreditation and state registration requirements
* Assist in credit analysis, assuring students stay on track for high school graduation, or GED
* Proctor and Administer GED Tests at J Bar J Testing Center.
* Stay current on pedagogical best practices via professional development opportunities and maintaining a professional development log
* Participate in weekly staff and planning meetings
* Assure proper day-to-day operations
* Assure a safe environment for both staff and students that is conducive to learning
* Maintain daily communication with Lead Teacher, and Academic Coordinator
* Perform other duties as requested by Academic Coordinator
* Knowledge, Skills, and Ability: Knowledge of secondary mainstream and remedial curriculum theory and teaching practices. Ability to develop and differentiate curriculum, including setting goals. Ability to develop lesson plans, provide instruction and evaluate student performance. Ability to work with a diverse student population in individual and
group settings. Knowledge of current educational theory and best practices as it relates to alternative education. Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff, and to be a cooperative, collaborative, and effective member of a professional team. Demonstrated use of technology in the classroom. Knowledge of GED instruction and testing. Will be expected to become familiar with current treatment model on site.
* Experience and Training: Minimally, BA/BS degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a current Oregon teaching certificate. MA/MS degree preferred. Minimum three years teaching experience, preferably in an alternative education field. Valid Oregon driver’s license and CPR/1st Aid certification required.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive, and it is subject to change
J Bar J Youth Services/J Bar J Learning Center is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer