Position: Alternative Education Educational Assistant-BRS 5
Department: J Bar J Learning Center J5
Reports to: Academic Director/Teacher
Under direct supervision of the classroom teacher and the Academic Director, the classroom Educational Assistant will serve as a primary assistant in the year-round academic program. The classroom serves as a mechanism to prepare students academically and socially for success in their next school or work setting. This position can be either a part-time 20-30 hours position depending on need.
* Provide primary support to the teacher with instruction to students on a daily basis
* Assist with lesson plans for implementation of approved curricula that is aligned with state standards
* Regularly assess and document student performance
* Assess student performance through use of observation and assessments directed by the teacher.
* Maintain education plans and portfolios for assigned students
* Utilize innovative materials and strategies in daily instructional milieu
* Maintain effective communication with students and staff
* Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude and demeanor
* Stay current on pedagogical best practices via professional development opportunities and maintaining a professional development log
* Perform other duties as requested by Academic Director and/or teacher
* Maintain online learning instruction, curriculum and assessment environment.
* Collaborate with assigned J Bar J 5 staff to maintain a safe and secure classroom environment.
* Knowledge, Skills, and Ability: Knowledge of secondary mainstream and remedial curriculum theory and teaching practices. Ability to work with a diverse student population in individual and group settings. Knowledge of current educational theory and best practices as it relates to alternative education. Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff, and to be a cooperative, collaborative, and effective member of a professional team. Demonstrated use of technology in the classroom. Will be expected to become familiar with current treatment model on site.
* Experience and Training: Minimally, AA degree from an accredited college. Alternative education background preferred. Valid Oregon driver’s license and CPR/1st Aid certification required.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive, and it is subject to change
J Bar J Youth Services/J Bar J Learning Center is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer