Position: Alternative Education Instructor
Department: J Bar J Learning Centers
Reports to: Lead Teacher and Academic Director
Under direct supervision of the classroom Lead Teacher, the classroom teacher will serve as a primary instructor in a therapeutic setting. The classroom serves as a mechanism to prepare students academically, behaviorally, and socially for success in their next school or work setting. Opportunities for professional growth in a supportive and collaborative environment.
- Provide primary instruction to students on a daily basis
- Develop lesson plan for the implementation of approved curriculum
- Regularly assess and document student performance
- Write curriculum guides for courses taught and align with state standards
- Maintain education plans and student portfolios
- Utilize innovative materials and strategies in daily instructional milieu
- Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude and demeanor
- Maintain effective communication with students and staff
- Assist with School Improvement process
Knowledge, Skills and Ability: Knowledge of secondary mainstream and remedial curriculum theory and teaching practices. Strong high school math skills. Ability to develop curriculum, including goals and measures of assessment. Ability to develop lesson plans, provide instruction and evaluate student performance. Knowledge of standard-based and project-based learning. Ability to work with a diverse student population in individual and group settings. Knowledge of current educational theory as it relates to alternative education. Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff, and to be a cooperative and effective member of a professional team. Must be technology literate.
Experience and Training: B.A./B.S. from an accredited four year college or university; M.A./M.S. degree preferred. Oregon teaching license required. Valid Oregon Driver’s License.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive, and it is subject to change
J Bar J Youth Services/J Bar J Learning Center is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer