Position: Alternative Education Educational Assistant, J Bar J Boys Ranch and J5
Department: J Bar J Learning Center
Reports to: Teacher/Academic Director
Under direct supervision of the classroom teacher and the Academic Director, the classroom Educational Assistant will serve as a primary assistant in the year-round academic program. The classroom serves as a mechanism to prepare students academically and socially for success in their next school or work setting. This position is 8:30-2:30 M-F with increased hours occasionally for meetings and trainings.
- Collaborate with assigned school staff to supervise students and maintain a safe and secure classroom environment
- Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude and demeanor
- Provide primary support to the teacher with instruction to students on a daily basis
- Maintain effective communication with students and staff
- Assess student performance through use of observation and assessments directed by the teacher
- Participate in professional development opportunities with education team
- Perform other duties as requested by teacher and/or Academic Coordinator
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability: Ability to work with a diverse student population in individual and group settings. Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff, and to be a flexible, cooperative, collaborative, and effective member of a professional team. General knowledge of middle and high school level academic subjects. Will be expected to become familiar with current treatment model on site.
- Experience and Training: Minimally, AA degree from an accredited college. BA and/or Alternative education background preferred. Valid Oregon driver’s license and CPR/1st Aid certification required.
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties for the job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee occasionally is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive, and it is subject to change