Position: Outdoor Experiential & Leadership Teacher
Department: J Bar J Learning Center –Academy at Sisters
Reports to: Lead Teacher and Academic Director
The Academy at Sisters is one of the top therapeutic boarding schools in the nation. We are seeking a qualified, self-driven teacher to create and facilitate an outdoor experiential education & leadership class for our students over the summer of 2023. With stunning Central Oregon as your backdrop, you will be expected to provide an expansive range of engaging curriculum and activities that will offer diverse experiential learning opportunities for the students. You will be able to grow professionally and personally in a dynamic therapeutic working environment while given the freedom to be innovative within your curriculum development.
Under direct supervision of the Academic Director, Outdoor Experiential and Leadership Teacher will create and facilitate an outdoor experiential education & leadership class for our students over the summer. The classroom and outdoors serve as mechanisms to prepare students academically and socially for success in their next school or work setting.
- Provide an expansive range of instruction, engaging curriculum and activities on a daily basis
- Develop lesson plans and curriculum guides for implementation of approved curricula that is aligned with state standards
- Regularly assess and document student performance
- Utilize innovative materials and strategies in daily instructional milieu
- Maintain effective communication with students and staff
- Serve as primary contact to assigned parents and stakeholders
- Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude and demeanor
- Stay current on pedagogical best practices via professional development opportunities and maintaining a professional development log
- Help maintain supervision of students during school hours
- Perform other duties as requested by Academic Director
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability: Knowledge of secondary mainstream and remedial curriculum theory and teaching practices. Ability to develop and differentiate curriculum, including setting goals and assessment measurements. Ability to develop lesson plans, provide instruction and evaluate student performance. Knowledge of methodology for articulation of curriculum with local public school district. Ability to work with a diverse student population in individual and group settings. Knowledge of current educational theory and best practices as it relates to alternative education. Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff, and to be a cooperative, collaborative, and effective member of a professional team. Demonstrated use of technology in the classroom. Will be expected to become familiar with current treatment model on site.
- Experience and Training: Minimally, BA/BS degree from an accredited four-year college or university. Alternative education background preferred. Valid Oregon driver license and CPR/1st Aid certification required, Wilderness First Responder preferred.
Start Date: June 5, 2023
Schedule: Full-time variable 40 hours per week position, Monday-Friday, 7am-4pm.
Our Website: www.academyatsisters.org
Contact: Feel free to contact J-J Youth Services, 541-389-1409, to set up a call with Crystal Mooney if you have any questions. If not, submit your resume and we look forward to meeting with you.