Position: Payroll/Human Resources Specialist
Department: Administrative Services
Reports to: CFO and CEO
Utilizing current web based timesheets, ADP payroll processing and accounting software, performs a variety of record keeping and payroll processing activities, including computing wage and overtime payments, calculating and recording payroll deductions, processes new hires and terminations. Handles all HR related matters including new hires, HR related employee issues, employee benefits and related local, State and Federal reporting requirements, to name a few. This is a full time position, 40 hours per week, performing payroll specialty work in Administration and Human Resources for J Bar J Youth Services.
- Although duties normally follow established procedures and processes, responsibilities may include routine, minor corrections to make documents acceptable for processing. The below is a summary of duties: Performs tasks to establish and maintain employee/payroll records and files
- Checking and auditing timekeeping records for compliance with established standards, maintaining time and attendance records, entering new hires into the payroll system, posting changes in employee pay and tax status and miscellaneous payroll changes
- Performs all activities necessary to process semi-monthly payrolls, including maintaining related records, filing and paying tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures and preparing special reports for management as needed
- Compute employees’ time worked, compute and post wages and deductions and prepare paychecks. Compile payroll data such as garnishments, vacation time, insurance and 401(k) deductions. … Process semi-monthly transfer of payroll data to ADP.
- Pay and record all payroll related liabilities in a timely fashion.
- Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information
- Reconcile employee benefits – vacation/sick, health, life/disability insurance, 401k – and post monthly benefit expense allocation before month end close.
- Duties include handling of benefits for employees, including medical and dental insurance, 401k, long term disability, vacation and sick accruals and others as they arise
- Governmental reporting (census etc.) as it pertains to labor and payroll
- Tasks are generally routine and require little or no deviation from established procedures
- Handles inquiries regarding openings and hiring procedures, including but not limited to tracking all applicants, prescreening, scheduling interviews, and verifying references.
- Handles the processing of newly hired employees including but not limited to background checks and drug screening.
- Conducts new employee orientations to include but not limited to topics such as rules, policies, procedures, compensation and benefit plans, trainings, and performance management.
- Maintains and updates all personnel files as well as the all staff dashboard.
- Responsible to coordinate and track all employee trainings company-wide to ensure adherence to state contractual and licensing requirements.
- Handles HR issues as they arise
- Conducts exit interviews for employees leaving services.
- Compiles information for the State of Oregon New Hire Reporting Program, Federal and State Family Leave, as well as OSHA, Worker’s Compensation and Unemployment reporting requirements.
- Assist employees with insurance questions, claims or problems as they arise.
- Responsible to collect and file completed evaluations and maintain in personnel files.
- Ensures that personnel handbooks are up-to-date and distributed to all departments or otherwise accessible by employees.
- Assures that required credentials, licenses and tests required for some positions are obtained and maintained by employees in a timely manner.
- Responsible for Safety meetings coordination, and documentation of safety trainings, as well as documentation in personnel files in accordance with our licensing requirements.
- Complies with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth. Maintains minimal company exposure to lawsuits
- Other duties as needed
- Knowledge and Skills. Requires organizational and documentation skills with attention to detail and time sensitive information. Requires sufficient payroll/human resources specialty skills to convey technical concepts to others, to deal with sensitive and confidential information, and to facilitate discussions in individual and small group setting. Excellent customer service and communication skills. Good working knowledge of internal controls required to account for transactions to the general ledger. Motivation, initiative and independence to work without direct supervision. The ability to manage and embrace change. The ability to multi-task and to prioritize work effectively and efficiently. General understanding of employment laws, both Federal and State.
- Experience and Training. Prefer degree and three (3) years’ experience office and payroll/human resources specialty administration, will need experience in state and federal employee requirements.
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.