Position: Substance Abuse Group Counselor
Department: J Bar J Boys Ranch
Reports to: Treatment Manager, Program Director
The Substance Abuse Group Counselor serves as the primary facilitator of therapeutic and educational addictions groups for J Bar J Boys Ranch. This position is a part-time, evening position.
- Facilitate weekly group counseling related to substance abuse for high risk adolescent clients.
- Create a positive atmosphere and a safe place for open discussion for clients recovering from drug and alcohol addictions.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation, including progress notes, in compliance with agency and state standards. Compose meaningful individual case notes for each client, ensuring the utilization of evidence based practices.
- Facilitate recovery groups utilizing evidence based-practices/programming (SMART Recovery – or similar curriculum).
- Maintain professional, ethical, and behavioral standards of conduct.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Ability to effectively facilitate groups.
- Ability to develop an environment where youth can succeed.
- Ability to accurately document group notes in client files.
- Ability to provide crisis intervention and remain calm and in control during crisis situations.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a team. Demonstrate strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use counseling techniques to educate and motivate clients.
- Knowledge of evidence based programming, to include: SMART Recovery or similar curriculum.
- Ability to interface effectively with other staff, referring agencies, parents, schools and others and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
Experience and Training:
- Relevant training and experience with addictions.
- Must be certified CADC – 1 certification or the ability to become certified within six (6) months of hire.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in the addictions field.